Woman’s Club Of Bakersfield
2030 18th St
The Woman’s Club of Bakersfield is a community service club dedicated to strengthen the community and enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
The Women’s Club of Bakersfield is Kern County’s oldest cultural club for women. We were incorporated March 2, 1896 for the “development of women along the lines of Literature, Science and the Arts.” We built our first building in 1900 and outgrew it. We bought a corner lot at 18th & D Streets in 1919 and moved into this colonial style building in November 1921.
The club evolved over the years into a philanthropic and community service organization. Our history includes our involvement in issues such as Woman’s Suffrage, Saving the Beale Clock Tower, and Preserving the California Redwoods. We began the first library in our county and the Greenfield Baseball Association while supporting the start of the Juvenile Justice System. We have provided receptions for both the Young Kern Philharmonic and New Citizens after Naturalization ceremonies. We have given many scholarships to the youth of our city.
The 1952 earthquake did extensive damage to the Clubhouse requiring a heavy mortgage for the first retrofit. In 1991 our building was placed on the Register of Historic Places by the Bakersfield City Council. Soon after our building’s structure was determined to be an unreinforced masonry building and the decision was made to save the building. The second retrofit was undertaken and completed at a cost of $189,000.00.
As you can see we have a wonderful history that has impacted out community in a positive manner and we have a great present and a promising future in our continuing legacy. We are indeed Women of Worth.